Bushfire season starts in Port Stephens

FUEL: Medowie Rural Fire Service members Bob Melehan and Louise McClelland. Picture: Stephen WarkTHE bushfire danger period for Port Stephens will start on October 1, meaning residents will need to brush up on their planning and preparation for the season ahead.
南京夜网

The Rural Fire Service (RFS) is warning residents not to become complacent following the downpour of rain in the past two months.

NSW RFS Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons said conditions were similar to this time last year, when the Port was ablaze with bushfires.

“All it will take is a few weeks of warm weather and we will again be contending with dry landscapes,” Mr Fitzsimmons said.

During the bushfire danger period, landowners must have a permit from the NSW RFS Fire Control Centre before conducting hazard reduction burns.

Mr Fitzsimmons said anyone planning to private burn should contact the fire control centre first, as permits may be suspended at short notice due to weather conditions.

“In addition, people living in or around bush or grass land areas should download a bushfire survival plan from the NSW RFS website and fill it in, as well as having a discussion with their family about what they will do in the event of a fire,” Mr Fitzsimmons said.

“People should also be preparing their properties, which means clearing gutters, maintaining gardens and checking equipment such as hoses, pumps and generators.”

Port Stephens Local Area Command crime manager Detective Inspector George Radmore said Strike Force Toronto would be in operation across the state from October 1.

The strike force would target high risk arson offenders.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.