Kintyre concerns

Kintyre Estate resident Bob Browne in Glenabbey Drive, which he maintains will have traffic problems in the future when a nearby subdivision takes shape. Photo: BELINDA SOOLEDubbo City Council has granted conditional approval to a 28-lot residential subdivision in the face of opposition from neighbours.
南京夜网

Kintyre Estate residents raised concerns about access and other infrastructure at a meeting on Monday but the development proposed for the city’s west gained unanimous support from councillors.

Yesterday Peter Pritchard said he and his Kintyre neighbours were angry and disappointed at the decision, and in response Dubbo mayor Mathew Dickerson said councillors had listened to the concerns but “there were no planning grounds to reject the development”.

An original proposal for a residential subdivision located at Cavelle Place attracted 50 submissions from the public.

The development application (DA) was amended by the applicant from 39 to 28 lots, which then attracted another 12 submissions.

Mr Pritchard was one of three residents to use the public forum at Monday’s meeting to appeal to the council.

Until another road was extended to link to Grangewood Estate, the new subdivision’s occupants will travel through Kintyre along Glenabbey Drive as their only access in and out.

At the meeting technical services director Stewart McLeod said in response to their concerns that in the case of a fire emergency an alternative access way would be created by authorities.

He also said in the medium term the proposed estate would link on to Lincoln Parkway.

Cr Allan Smith thanked staff for advice that water pressure in the area met acceptable standards in response to issues raised last week.

Yesterday in the wake of the vote Mr Pritchard said the DA failed to address concerns about access in an emergency situation, safety for retirement village residents and school-aged children and the provision of speed limit signs, kerb and guttering and street lights.

The advice provided by Mr McLeod did not convince Mr Pritchard.

“Safety is of paramount concern to Kintyre residents and using the one exit in an emergency situation is simply not realistic,” he said.

Mr Pritchard called on the council to ensure another entrance into the subdivision was made “from the beginning”.

“Residents of Kintyre Estate are not willing to have their safety compromised and are calling on the developer and Dubbo City Council to urgently address these genuine concerns,” he said.

Kintyre resident Bob Browne raised concerns about traffic, block sizes, water and endangered birdlife in a submission and yesterday he said they remained.

“Glenabbey Drive is little more than a country single lane road with a blind hill and a downhill sweeping corner. . . no street lighting, no speed limit, no kerb and guttering and no traffic lines,” he said in the submission.

Cr Dickerson said councillors had listened to the concerns from residents and read through a comprehensive report from the staff about the concerns.

“There were no planning grounds to reject the development and councillors are generally keen to see development progress in Dubbo,” he said.

“As with all items before council, councillors need to balance individual wants with the long-term needs of our overall community.

“We are elected to make decisions for the betterment of the future of Dubbo and we realise that we can’t please everyone all the time with those decisions.

“This is one of those examples.”

Cr Dickerson said the approved development would further contribute to a diverse mix of housing types and styles throughout the city, with the subdivision providing lots ranging in size from 690m to 2417m .

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.