THE local Waratah March Re-Enactment Committee has had a significant win with the Roads and Maritime Services set to allow the local march to travel across the old Shoalhaven River bridge.
Earlier this month the South Coast Register revealed bureaucratic red tape threatened to stop the re-enactment of the famous Waratah March as part of the Anzac centenary celebrations next November.
That included the crossing of the old Nowra Bridge, which would allow the re-enactment of the famous photo taken in 1915 as the volunteers crossed the Shoalhaven River.
Re-Enactment Committee chairman Clyde Poulton said correspondence with the RMS since the Register article has been positive.
“RMS has conceded the interest and the local significance was such they were willing to review the rules and allow us across the bridge,” Mr Poulton said.
“It is fantastic, as it will fulfil the primary aim of the southern section of the march, including the highly symbolic crossing of the bridge as our forebears did nearly 100 years ago.
“It is great they [RMS] have heard the comments from locals and it was important they did get to hear it but more importantly they listened and that is critical for all governments to do that.
“We’ve also had a good response from Shoalhaven City Council’s traffic and special events groups, who have been a great assistance and encouraging.”
Mr Poulton said the committee would be meeting with RMS representatives in Nowra on October 8.
“It will be good to have RMS representatives here and show them the local scene,” he said.
“There are a number of other issues regarding the march to be discussed and we will be doing this at that meeting.
“Bear in mind the plan is to re-enact the march all the way from Nowra to Sydney and I’m sure we will have other battles along the way but this meeting should set the ground work for other issues that may arise.”
The re-enactment event will be staged from November 30 to December 18, 2015.
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.